Social Value is the term used to measure the impact of our works on the local community and is measured via an external organisation, the Social Value Portal. Our latest report from the Social Value Portal showcases the social value we have delivered from the start of the project to the end of May 2021. The tool provides metrics for the value of the activities we are carrying out, including providing employment opportunities for Lewisham residents and supporting community engagement activities.
Key highlights so far:
- 4 apprentices have worked 80 weeks
- 3 graduates have worked 47 weeks
- 3 young people have gained work experience on site
- 1 virtual work experience completed with a local school
- 3 career sessions with Barnardo’s YouthBuild
- 5 accredited and advanced H&S training sessions for Lewisham residents
- 1 Meet the Contractor event
- 69 local people employed (FTE)
- 2 local organisations engaged to support ex-offenders back into employment
- £27,134,305 spent with local businesses
Using the Social Value Portal, the total additional value we have delivered is £31,733,666.38.
The ‘dials’ on the infographics below show how we are performing against some of our targets, and these will increase as the project progresses as we reach our objectives.
Apprenticeships – With more subcontractors joining us on site we will begin to have more apprenticeship opportunities available. We will shortly be advertising for a mechanical apprenticeship and an electrical apprenticeship. If you would be interested, visit the Lewisham Construction Hub to find out more about the positions.
Local employment – We are doing well against our target for employing local people (the figure below shows FTE) and are continuously advertising positions via the Construction Hub
Work experience – We are looking at organising some on site work experience for later in the year when restrictions ease. So far we have delivered one virtual work experience for students at Conisborough College, and will be supporting Deptford Green School next week.